Identification Required By A Notary Public
Required Proof of Identification needed at the time of Notary:
Identity shall be ascertained by examination of one or more of the following eight documents:
1) A United States Passport
2) A certificate of United States citizenship
3) A certificate of naturalization
4) An unexpired foreign passport
5) An alien registration card with photograph
6) A state issued driver’s license
7) A state-issued identification card
8) A United States military card.
In the state of Virginia, notaries can also use personal knowledge to identify a person. Meaning if they personally know you and your full legal name, they can notarize a document if you don’t have any of the above list identification. This is however up to the discretion of the notary.